Tuesday, June 28, 2011

TIME SAVING TUESDAY -- FREEZER COOKING

Don’t let the title scare you. 
I’m a newbie to freezer cooking and can’t hold a candle to people with these results!



But I’ve been intrigued by the idea for some time so decided to give it a whirl “in moderation.”

I imagine if you are a single person you may have stopped reading at this point, assuming there is nothing here that will apply to you. Well let me tell you, YOU ARE WRONG.

Here are the excuses reasons I hear over and over again about why cooking at home is not desirable from my single friends:
  • I’m just one person, so much goes to waste
  • I don’t like eating the same food over and over again
  • I don’t like eating alone
  • It’s just as cheap to eat out
  • The work isn’t worth the time/mess

I hear ya! But I actually think freezer cooking can actually address most of these issues and save you money in the process.

Here are just a few basic tips for starting freezer cooking:

      1. Pick 1-2 recipes

I generally base my recipes on food that’s been on sale. Recently Smart & Final had Jenni-O Turkey for 2/$5. This is the cheapest I’ve seen it in San Diego. I bought 4 lbs.

2. Buy all the supplies

I decided I would make a batch of sloppy jo and some taco meat, so I made sure to have all the ingredients for both recipes on hand.

3. Choose one chunk of time to do all the cooking

On a Sunday night while Gary (the Hubs) was watching basketball I enjoyed whipping up some meals in about 30 minutes. I made 1 lb. of taco meat and 1 lb. of sloppy jo. I put ½ of each in the fridge for meals this week and the other ½ in freezer containers for some other time.

4. Assess your results

Not only did we have two dinners and leftovers already prepared this week, I have another two dinners and leftovers for a week when I don’t feel like cooking or we’re short on time. It took me 30 minutes to prepare 4 meals for 2 people. If I’d prepared these meals individually at different times it would have taken me an hour.

Obviously these results are specific to our family (a family of 2 adults only). But I think the same principles can be applied whether you are single or a family of 10.

So how about it? Who’s willing to give it a try? Just once? Leave a comment below if you are willing to try freezer cooking and I’ll send you one of my favorite freezer cooking recipes.

Do you have a freezer cooking recipe you'd like to share? Link up below!


No comments:

Post a Comment